Robert Rice
B: 1958-04-09
D: 2020-08-04
View Details
Rice, Robert
Sharon Frazier
B: 1948-11-13
D: 2020-08-04
View Details
Frazier, Sharon
Douglas Hargrove
B: 1924-09-14
D: 2020-08-03
View Details
Hargrove, Douglas
Nancy Everheart
B: 1953-09-07
D: 2020-08-01
View Details
Everheart, Nancy
Patricia Brooks
B: 1943-07-28
D: 2020-08-01
View Details
Brooks, Patricia
Carlton Blattler
B: 1931-07-24
D: 2020-07-31
View Details
Blattler, Carlton
Don Wooden
B: 1944-02-26
D: 2020-07-31
View Details
Wooden, Don
Karl Townsend
B: 1932-01-03
D: 2020-07-30
View Details
Townsend, Karl
Billie Harris
B: 1928-02-19
D: 2020-07-29
View Details
Harris, Billie
Nghia Phan
B: 1936-05-12
D: 2020-07-28
View Details
Phan, Nghia
Linda Wehunt
B: 1937-06-03
D: 2020-07-28
View Details
Wehunt, Linda
Rebecca Hill
B: 1952-03-28
D: 2020-07-28
View Details
Hill, Rebecca
Bruce Carlton
B: 1958-09-17
D: 2020-07-27
View Details
Carlton, Bruce
Charles Hedrick
B: 1940-02-10
D: 2020-07-25
View Details
Hedrick, Charles
Khamphong Heuangvilay
B: 1947-07-05
D: 2020-07-25
View Details
Heuangvilay, Khamphong
Angelina Holguin
B: 1958-04-07
D: 2020-07-25
View Details
Holguin, Angelina
Emily Stillwell
B: 1928-11-30
D: 2020-07-24
View Details
Stillwell, Emily
Jacob Parsons
B: 1981-05-03
D: 2020-07-22
View Details
Parsons, Jacob
Joy Massey
B: 1917-05-23
D: 2020-07-21
View Details
Massey, Joy
Larry Shaver
B: 1951-09-18
D: 2020-07-21
View Details
Shaver, Larry
Barbara Bejarano
B: 1955-01-01
D: 2020-07-21
View Details
Bejarano, Barbara


Use the form above to find your loved one. You can search using the name of your loved one, or any family name for current or past services entrusted to our firm.

Click here to view all obituaries
Search Obituaries
6934 South Western Avenue
PO Box 891320
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
Phone: 405-634-1439
Fax: 405-634-3753
Wayne Reynolds

Wayne Edgar Reynolds

Tuesday, May 5th, 1936 - Saturday, July 18th, 2020
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Wayne Reynolds, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been posted successfully

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Wayne Reynolds

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question or comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Wayne's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Wayne's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


Wayne Edgar Reynolds left this world peacefully with his family by his side on Saturday, July 18, 2020 at the age of 84.
Wayne was born in Gunnison, Colorado to Paul and Gladys Reynolds. He grew up in Colorado, Oklahoma and California until he joined the Marine Corps in 1954.
At the request of his granddaughter Jamie Baldwin, Wayne wrote an autobiographical essay on the time he was in college and in the Marines. See below.
Wayne’s career began as a Computer Programmer at IBM–Space General in Southern California during a time when computing was in its infancy. Wayne worked with computers most of his career, even owning his own software company for a while. Wayne’s career ended in June of 1998, when he retired after 22 years as the Executive Director of Information Technology for Middlesex County College in Edison, New Jersey.
Wayne was known as the Imperial Patriarch of his family and loved to refer to himself as “the IP”. His family was his pride and joy. He would tell anyone who would listen how many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren he had.
Wayne also adored poetry. He loved so many different authors, but there was one poem by Robert W. Service that was his favorite and he would read it to any captive audience! It was The Cremation of Sam McGee.
Although Wayne enjoyed life wherever he was, he loved living in Colorado. He claimed it was “God’s Country”. He found pure joy in the mountains and trees. He always wanted to become a famous writer and buy a valley in Colorado where his family could live together. On Wayne’s 80th birthday all the children and grandchildren that were able gathered at a big cabin in Divide, Colorado to celebrate. Wayne was in heaven!
Wayne’s first and foremost love and responsibility was for God. He loved bible study and teaching God’s Word. Wayne served as an Elder in the Lord’s church for many years and at many congregations of the church of Christ. If there was one thing Wayne could say to you now, it would be to study the bible and obey what it teaches!
Wayne was a great man who left a big impact on everyone who knew him and he will be sorely missed.
“A righteous man who walks in his integrity-- How blessed are his sons after him.”
-Proverbs 20:7
Wayne is survived by:
Wife: Catherine Reynolds of 64 years
Daughter: Carolynn Davis & husband Curt
Daughter: Denise Coronado & husband Manuel
Son: Scott Reynolds & wife Lea Ann
Son: Brian Reynolds & wife Mary Ellen
Daughter: Rebecca McDougal & husband Keith

Carrie (Davis) Willis & husband Chris, Jamie (Davis) Baldwin & husband David, Lindsay (Davis) Foster & husband Craig.
Lauren Reynolds, Michael Reynolds & wife Kay
Meghan Reynolds, Stephen Reynolds, Kristen (Reynolds) Yzquierdo & husband Fabbian
Max McDougal, Emma McDougal

Great Grandchildren:
Caleb Willis, Anna Willis, Ben Willis
Amelia Baldwin, Carter Baldwin, Drew Baldwin
Kate Foster, Lainey Foster, Ryan Foster, Callie Foster
Baby Boy Reynolds (due in October)
Nicholas Yzquierdo

Sister: Grace (Reynolds) Kilmer
Sister-In-Law: Tillie Wizek
Brother-In-Law: Chuck Steinert

Wayne was preceded in death by:
Father: Paul Reynolds
Mother: Gladys Reynolds
Father-In-Law: Walter Steinert
Mother-In-Law, Matilda Steinert
Brothers: LS Long, Max Reynolds
Sisters: Nancy Haigler and Patsy Cox
Brothers-In-Law: Harvey Haigler, Glen Cox, Jerry Kilmer, Walter Steinert, Edward Steinert, George Steinert, James Steinert
Sisters-In-Law: Ethel Landesman, Mary Ann Cercia, Margie Sobel, Beth Long

W e d n e s d a y, N o v e m b e r 1 9, 2 0 0 8
Happy Veteran's Day (late)

Hi Sweet Girl, Hey, what prompted this? Did you notice that last Monday (11/10) was the Marine Corps Birthday? Most Marines are very "Gung Ho" and don't fail to remind anyone within reach of the auspicious occasion of the founding of the USMC on November 10, 1775 in Tun's Tavern in Philadelphia! You are kind to ask -- I'll be glad to give you a brief (I sometimes redefine that word!) summary of my time in the Corps. - - - - -
I finished high school in Delta, Colorado the same month I turned 17, May of 1953. I worked all that summer, (as I had the previous summer), in wheat harvest, starting in Texas and working our way to Montana. A rancher we worked for near Boulder, Colorado was killed by a train, and his widow offered me room and board in Boulder in exchange for ranch work, if I wanted to attend the university there, (she had a son about my age, and an older daughter). So, I started college at the University of Colorado that fall, and worked as a cowboy for the Johnson ranch. My folks had no money to help with college, and financial aid was practically nonexistent then. My brother Max was in the Army. We hatched a "plan" for him to send me money during my college years -- and then I would send him money when he got out of the Army and went to college. It turned out that he was having a lot of fun in Germany, and never got around to sending any money. I started to drop out at the end of the first semester for (almost total) lack of cash. But the coach at CU persuaded me to stay. He got me a full scholarship in football and wrestling, including housing in the "Jock" dorm, and even a job as a soda jerk in the student union for a little cash, (85 cents an hour!). But I didn't have many hours to work, and still had very little money. I confess that I wasn't a serious student either. So, in March of 1954 I quit college and joined the Marines. I figured I would do my military service, and then have the GI Bill for college, (and perhaps be a more serious student). I was still 17 at the time, so my folks had to sign for me to join. Then I was off to boot camp in San Diego, (recruits from the western US go to San Diego; those from the east go to Camp LeJeune, NC). My starting pay was $78/month. Marine boot camp is everything you’ve heard, and more. (Of course, everyone says it was rougher in “their” days, but it actually was at that time. It still is now, but some things happened over the years that made them ease up just a bit.) It was only 12 weeks, but extremely tough. Absolutely NO liberty, not even on-base liberty (to go to a movie, the exchange – not even to a candy machine or a walk around a block). We were blasted out our bunks at 4:30 and driven non-stop until evening; then we might have an hour or so at our barracks to do our laundry (by hand), and shine our boots and brass. We even marched in formation to meals at the mess hall, and returned to formation to stand at ease until everyone was present. If the DI felt generous, we might get to have a smoke in formation while waiting for the rest to get there. We were only allowed to smoke a few times a day; and you never “sat” unless you were in class learning something such as rapidly disassembling, cleaning, and assembling various weapons. The training was purely military. Of course, marching, drilling, and military rules, etc., was part of it; but much of it concerned fighting and the use of various weapons, (rifles; bayonets; grenades; etc.; etc.). Two of the 12 weeks are spent at the weapons range in the hills 20 miles from San Diego, (of course you get there by marching with a full pack and weapons). The Marine DI stresses that you’re not there to learn how to die for your country – you’re there to learn how to help the other poor bastard die for his county. And, of paramount importance for Marines – DISCIPLINE! You can’t imagine the discipline. One of the interesting things you get to do with your buddies is to take off your gas mask in a chamber full of tear gas, and all sing the entire Marine Corps Hymn. After boot camp, if you did well, you advance in rank from Private to Private First Class, (PFC). ALL Marines go to another base, most to Camp Pendleton in California, for advanced infantry training. Regardless of what your specialty may be later, and the particular training for it, – everyone gets complete training in infantry combat. If I remember correctly, that was another 6-8 weeks at that time. I did not go on to Camp Pendleton with my class immediately after boot camp. I had scored high on the General Classification Test, (essentially an IQ test), during boot camp; and was screened for officer programs. The one I opted for was NavCad, which is pilots training at Pensacola, Florida. This is also where graduates of the US Naval Academy, if selected, go for pilots training to become Navy or Marine pilots. It sounded like fun to me! However, in addition to the GCT score required, you also had to have a 4-year college degree. I didn’t, of course, but USAFI (US Armed Forces Institute), did offer equivalency exams for various levels of education, (high school and college). I took the 4-year college equivalency exam, and had to wait in San Diego for the results after boot camp, (and also while they did extensive background checks). To my surprise, I passed all 4 sections of the exam, (I had “coasted’ through high school – especially through the 11th grade in Geary, Oklahoma, without taking much serious coursework). So, next they sent me to a Marine Corps Air Station in El Torro, California for a flight physical, (pretty demanding; they even fixed every slightest tooth cavity, etc.). During the extensive vision tests, they discovered a astigmatism on one eye – something I was not even aware of. But they said it would go away within a few months. So they returned the now thick folder of stuff to my file, and told me to tell my commanding officer, (C.O.), wherever I might be in a few months to re-do the flight physical and send me to Pensacola. I went to Camp Pendleton for advanced infantry training, and then was shipped to Korea in the fall of 1954. The trip to Korea was something else. We were on a modest-sized troop transport ship; it crried 2,000 Marines and the ship’s crew. It was slow compared to many larger ships. It took us 21 days to go from San Diego to Kobe, Japan, where we stopped for one evening’s liberty before going on to Inchon, Korea. That was 3 weeks seeing nothing but ocean in every direction. Most of the Marines had never been aboard a ship. Many were getting seasick the first night, and we were still tied up at the San Diego dock! And regrettably we had rough weather for the first 10 days at sea. I thought I must have been practically the only Marine on board who wasn’t seasick, (but of course there were probably a few others). It was so bad that they would send us all below-decks FIVE times a day to hose off the decks, (you can’t believe how bad it smelled – to say nothing of the slippery hazard). We would try to lean over the rail as far forward as possible to breathe fresh air – but some sucker would run to the rail even farther forward and fill the blowing air with barf to fly back onto you. Our “racks,” (bunks), were pipe-like frames with canvas flats which folded down from the bulkheads (walls). Bulkheads were only 5-6 feet apart, with racks stacked 5 high on each side and a foot or two of passageway between the stacks. Happily, I had grabbed a top rack when we boarded. Guess what happened at night in the rough seas? The ship would rock, and many of the guys on the upper racks would hang over the edge of their rack to barf into the passageway. However, while the ship was tilted, that stuff would just go into the racks of the guys below, (and the first night or two, many guys didn’t know better than to leave their boots in the passageway between the racks – guess what they would stick their foot into the next morning?). Plus, the ship rocked so badly those first days that we even had to stand to eat in the mess hall, (the benches folded under the tables). And while you tried to eat, (terrible food, by the way – these were merchant ships, not Navy), a tray would come sliding down the table and stop in front of you – and it would have more “stuff” (barf, of course) on it than had been loaded at the chow line. As I said, the really bad weather only lasted about 10 days, and they troops mostly had their sea legs by then as well. So the rest of the trip wasn’t too bad – but it was really boring. Paperback books were like gold – even if some clown had torn off the last several pages! I was assigned to Communications Company, Headquarters Battalion of the 1st Marine Division, about 40 miles northeast of Seoul, South Korea. The Korean War truce had been signed in 1953, so the “hot” war had ended. However, things were still very tense, the country was an unbelievably devastated shambles, and a fair amount of guerrilla warfare was still going on. We lived in 6-man tents, which weren’t too bad, (although that 1-ply canvas wall didn’t keep winter cold out well, and we weren’t allowed to keep little pot-bellied stoves on at night). We each had a cot to lay our sleeping bag on. We had no running water at all, and would march to shower tents once every 2 weeks. We wore only combat uniforms, and were always fully armed. We didn’t even take any “dress” uniforms to the base there. All towns and cities, (even Seoul), were simply piles of debris; so there was no conventional liberty. Some of us did get to visit some burial grounds with some interesting tombs near our compound. If we left the base for any reason we were armed and never alone. Even the base wasn’t safe. For example, one morning all 6 men in a nearby tent had their throats cut. It was unpleasant to watch even an enemy guerrilla soldier lying at your feet dying of a bullet wound. And sometimes it would be simply a poor hungry South Korean who crept into our area at night to steal food – but failed to stop when we saw him and yelled “Siga!” (stop). The plight and poverty of those people was more terrible than most Americans would imagine. In December of 1954 my brother-in-law, Harvey Haigler, (Nancy’s husband), was killed. He was an Air Force pilot, and flew jet fighter-bombers out of Japan. Harvey was a great guy. He and I had really bonded the Christmas before in Colorado doing some mountain climbing in the snow above my parents’ home in Cedaredge. Nancy was devastated, of course. Their only child, Kay, was less than a year old. It was a great shock to the family; we had been fortunate to have had very few early deaths in the family. It was to affect my own plans to become a pilot, because my mother became absolutely terrified of the idea. During that winter in Korea, I remembered the flight surgeon’s instructions about my flight physical. I checked with my C.O. and he sent me to Marine Air Group in South Korea. The flight surgeon verified that my eye problem was in fact gone, so I was technically ready to go to flight school. However, my C.O. said he was not going to cut orders to send one person from Korea to Florida. He said he would put the folder back into my file, and I should notify my C.O. when I got back to the states, and I would be sent to the next class in Pensacola. The entire 1st Marine Division was returned to the United States in the spring of 1955. I was assigned to MCTU #1, (Marine Corps Test Unit #1), at Camp Pendleton, California. Our function was to test new equipment and tactics for the entire Marine Corps. For example, we spent a lot of time testing of the use of helicopters to land Marines in various assault situations – this was to largely replace the use of landing craft to “storm” the beaches. I was putting off my decision to go to Pensacola for the Naval Cadet flight program, hoping with time my mother would get over her significant fear of it. It is hard to express my love, admiration, and appreciation of my mother. She did not have an easy life, and loved and served her family more deeply than I can describe. I did not at all want to cause her pain and worry just to satisfy a personal ambition, although I really wanted to go. I think it was in 1956 that my C.O. called me in and said I needed to make a decision. Mother never pressured me about not going – she was not at all selfish, but she could not conceal her terror of the idea. So, I decided to decline the program. Some other factors made it not too tough to pass it up. By this time I had been made a Corporal, (rank is not fast in the Marines), and received some advanced NCO, (Non-Commissioned Officer), leadership training. So, I had it fairly soft. Also, there was this sweet young thing I had met while visiting my older brother in the Los Angeles area on liberty, and we were having a great time falling in love. Plus, I now had only about a year or less to complete my 3-year enlistment. If I had gone into the NavCad program, I would have been required to start a new 4-year obligation, (1-1/2 years of training, then commission as an officer, then 2-1/2 years of additional service). So I finished my enlistment, and was honorably discharged in March of 1957. I had been awarded these medals: Expert Marksman; National Defense; Korean Expeditionary Force; and Good Conduct. I am currently a Life Member of the Marine Corps League; and a Life Member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. It does not even compare with my love and loyalty to God, and then to my family, but I will be a dedicated Marine all my life. I believe it is clearly the finest military organization in the world, and a great fraternity. Indeed: The Few, The Proud, The Marines! Semper Fidelis!
Read Less

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Wayne Edgar Reynolds, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Wayne

Service Details

There are no events scheduled. You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or planting a memorial tree in memory of Wayne Edgar Reynolds.


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Wayne here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
Megan Strydom sent flowers to the family of Wayne Edgar Reynolds.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

Donna, Andy and Patricia

Posted at 07:12pm
We will miss Wayne, a truly unique and special individual. Our prayers are with you all.

3 trees were planted in the memory of Wayne Reynolds

Plant a tree

Megan Strydom

Posted at 10:24am
Dear Granny..... I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of all of you at this time. Love, Megan Strydom
Flower Image

Megan Strydom purchased flowers and planted a memorial tree for the family of Wayne Reynolds. Send Flowers


Zach Green

Posted at 09:17am
I never had the privilege to meet Wayne. However, between Max and Emma I have heard enough stories to know he was an amazing man and grandpa. Love yal
Tree Image
A memorial tree was planted in the memory of Wayne Reynolds — Plant a Tree Now

Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each